Pelvic Organ Prolapse
Elevate® Anterior & Apical Prolapse
Elevate® Anterior and Apical Prolapse Repair System employs a minimally invasive, total transvaginal approach which requires only a single vaginal incision.
Elevate® Anterior and Apical Prolapse Repair System employs a minimally invasive, total transvaginal approach which requires only a single vaginal incision. This innovational system supports treatment of anterior vaginal wall prolapse (cystocele and urethrocele) and vaginal vault prolapse.
The product constitutes self-fixating tips that permits safe, simple and accurate placement of the mesh in the proven anatomical landmarks (sacrospinous ligament and the obturator internus muscle). The slim design of the needle and low-profile self fixating tips minimises blind needle passages and thus reduces trauma to the tissues and ensures faster patient recovery.
Elevate® uses the proven IntePro® Lite polypropylene mesh that allows easy adjustability. Overall, the system advocates an established fixation technology.
Salient features and benefits
- A posterior needle having a protective sheath and depth limiting feature. This
allows smooth passage minimising tissue and neurovascular injury.
- Anterior needle, designed anatomically with 2.3 mm diameter provides safe tip
placement. It minimises risk of tissue injury and bladder perforation.
- The system is designed to allow tactile feedback. This makes the procedure simple
and allows safe placement of the mesh.
- Low profile self-fixating tips provide firm support till tissue ingrowth occurs.
This reduces mesh migration and provides durability with high tissue retention.
- Fixating arms help easy placement of mesh into the desired position. It allows accurate and efficient prolapse correction.
- Low density mesh conforms to the anatomy better. This design improves vaginal mobility.
Risks and Complications
As with any major surgical procedure, there are potential risks involved, some ofthe severe ones include perforation of the urethra, bladder and bowel, erosion of themesh by neighbouring tissue and infection.
Vaginal prolapse is a condition in which the pelvic organs such as bladder, rectum,uterus, urethra, and small bowel protrude into the vaginal wall. Several types ofvaginal prolapse conditions have been identified and they include:
- Cystocele – Bladder protrudes into the vagina
- Rectocele – Rectum protrudes into the vagina
- Vaginal vault prolapse – Top portion of vagina herniates into vaginal canal
- Uterine prolapse – Uterus prolapse into the vagina
- Enterocele – Small bowel herniates into vagina
The main cause of vaginal prolapse is the weakness in the muscles and ligaments that support the vagina, surrounding tissues and organs. The factors that can cause vaginal prolapse include repetitive straining such as chronic constipation, frequent lifting of heavy objects, chronic cough, menopause, childbir th, previous surgeries in the pelvic area, advanced age, hysterectomy and obesity.
Women with prolapse may have different symptoms based on the type of prolapse. The signs and symptoms include slow urinary stream, difficulty in bowel movements, vaginal lump, protrusion of vagina from the body, painful sexual intercourse, vaginal pain, irritation and bleeding.
Click here to know more about Elevate® Prolapse Repair System