Capital Women’s Health Privacy Statement
Capital Women’s Health (CWH) is committed to providing quality, person centred health care to women and their families in an environment that is respectful of the individual’s right to privacy and confidentiality. We collect personal information in order to provide quality diagnostic services and assist in the provision of care.
Capital Women’s Health recognises the importance of privacy and confidentiality protection for all patients that attend the practice or visit our website.
The main categories of personal information we collect are:
- date of birth
- phone contact and postal address.
CWH collects sensitive (health) information in the course of providing health services to an individual including:
- the results of any tests or procedures
- information about your past clinical history (e.g.: medication taken, previous test results, etc)
- other health information provided by your referring doctor
- payment and administrative information such as your Medicare or private health insurance information
- information collected directly from you when you attend our practice
- information provided by third parties such as your referring doctor or your authorised representative.
If you choose not to provide your personal information to us we may be unable to provide you with the services you request.
We may use your information for the purpose of:
- making an assessment of your health status
- providing a specialist medical report about your health to your referring doctor
- billing and collection of any outstanding debts
- sending you reminder notices of specific tests as required by law (e.g.: Pap smear registry)
- notifying relevant organisations such as insurance companies and legal advisers of an incident/accident when a claim of medical malpractice has been alleged
- ongoing research of specific cases for the continuing education of professional personnel (such information being de-identified prior to use).
Disclosure of your information
We may sometimes need to disclose information about you to organisations outside of Capital Women’s Health for medical, ethical, legal and/or procedural reasons. These organisations may include:
- forwarding to consultant medical specialists or organisations outside of Capital Women’s Health for further advise on your medical condition;
- contractors who (under strict privacy guidelines) assist us in some of our business operations, such as:
- maintenance of our information technology systems
- billing and debt-recovery, corporate risk management, finance, and general office services
- pathology providers for tests that are referred to an outside organisation to perform
- your representative(s) (e.g.: your guardian, authorised representatives such as family members or legal advisors)
- Medicare or your private health fund for the purpose of benefits payable
- our professional advisors (such as accountants, auditors and legal advisers)
- government and regulatory authorities and other organisations, as required or authorised by law.
Capital Women’s Health will not disclose information about our patients to pharmaceutical companies or other health organisations who are not involved in your medical care.
Accuracy of your information
We will endeavour to ensure the information we collect from you
is accurate and up-to date. The accuracy of that information depends on the information you provide to us. Thank you for letting us know:
- if there are any errors in the information we hold
- of any changes to your information such as you name, address or Medicare number.
Your information is being kept safe and will not be disclosed to anyone without your consent. Capital Women’ Health have policies and procedures in place to ensure your information is kept safe and confidential and and staff training has been provided to ensure the privacy of your information is secure.
Access to your information
The best way to obtain your results is in consultation with your doctor so they can be explained in the context of your healthcare.
You may however, request access to information we hold about you. In some circumstances your request may be denied for specific legal reasons as set out in the Privacy Act, including if the request is vexatious or a criminal investigation is under way.
If your request is denied, a reason will be given to you. In order to maintain the security of your information, identification is required before copies of information will be supplied (such as drivers licence, or evidence of home address such as from a power bill).
Privacy is important to your medical care. At Capital Women’s Health we are committed to protecting your privacy, through explaining our practices, only collecting and disclosing medical information with our patients consent, and resolving privacy-related problems as quickly as possible.
Capital Women’s’ Health will protect your privacy by:
- only obtaining information about your health with your consent;
- keeping your health information secure;
- giving you access to the information we have concerning you;
- not disclosing this information outside the organisation without your consent;
- allowing you to withdraw your consent at any stage;
- providing you with a simple complaints mechanism for complaints relating to privacy issues;
- ensuring a process for working with the Office of the Privacy Commissioner to resolve any complaints that cannot be resolved directly with you;
- providing written procedures and instructions for staff to ensure that privacy sensitive processes are adhered to;
- ensuring our external contractors comply with the Act; and
- continuing to review and improve our privacy practices.
Collection of your Personal Information on our website
Capital Women’s Health collects personally identifiable information, such as your name, home or work address, telephone number and email address. We also collect anonymous demographic information, which is not unique to you, such as your postcode, age and gender.
There is also information about your computer hardware and software that is automatically collected by Capital Women’s Health. This information can include your IP address, browser type, domain names, access times and referring Web site addresses. We use this information for the operation of the service, to maintain quality of the service, and to provide general statistics regarding use of our website.
We encourage you to review the privacy statements of any websites you choose to link to from CWH so that you can understand how those websites collect, use and share your information. CWH is not responsible for the privacy statements or other content on websites outside of the CWH website.
Use of your Personal Information
Capital Women’s Health collects and uses your personal information to operate our website and deliver the services you have requested.
Capital Women’s Health does not sell, rent or lease customer lists to third parties. We may share data with trusted partners to help us perform statistical analysis, send you email or postal mail, provide customer support, or arrange for deliveries. All such third parties are prohibited from using your personal information except to provide these services to Capital Women’s Health and they are required to maintain the confidentiality of your information.
We keep track of the websites and pages our customers visit within Capital Women’s Health so as to determine which of our services are most useful to you. This data is used to deliver customised content within CWH where you have indicated that you are interested in a particular subject area.
Capital Women’s Health will only disclose your personal information, without your consent, if required to do so by law or in the good faith belief that such action is necessary to: (a) conform to the edicts of the law or comply with legal process served on Capital Women’s’ Health or the site; (b) protect and defend the rights or property of Capital Women’s’ Health; and, (c) act under exigent circumstances to protect the personal safety of users of Capital Women’s Health, or the public.
Security of your Personal Information
Capital Women’s’ Health secures your personal information from unauthorised access, use or disclosure. Capital Women’s Health secures the personally identifiable information you provide on computer servers in a controlled, secure environment, protected from unauthorised access, use or disclosure. When personal information (such as a credit card number) is transmitted to other websites, it is protected through the use of encryption.
We welcome your comments and feedback regarding this Statement of Privacy. If you are concerned that Capital Women’s Health has not adhered to this Statement, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org .
We will investigate your concerns and a response will be sent to you as quickly as possible. We will endeavour to respond to you within 14 days. If you are dissatisfied with the response, you can refer the matter to the Privacy Commissioner.